War Between the States – U.S. Civil War, 1861-1865.
Ward – the division of a city for election purposes; also the guardian of minor a minor child.
Warranty Deed – Deed in which the seller guarantees a clear title to the buyer.
Will – Document declaring how a person wants his property divided after his death.
Witness – One who is present at a transaction, such as a sale of land or signing of a will, who can testify or affirm that it actually took place.
WPA Historical Records Survey – A program undertaken by the US Government 1935-1936 in which inventories were compiled of historical material.
Search This Site
Did You Know?
John Westly Ingalls, aged 71, was listed as a prostitute in the 1940 U.S. Census. Luckily for him he was also listed as having another source of income.
Top Posts & Pages
- American Epidemics
- Latin Terms
- Flushing, New York, 1698
- South Carolina Land Grants, 1674 to 1683
- Weymouth to New England. 1635
- Genealogy Quest - adding ancestors to your family tree
- Yorkshire Convicted Papists, 1716 (Birdforth and Allertonshire Wapentakes)
- Ship Defence, London to Boston 1635
- Transported Quakers, 1664 to 1666
- Medical Terminology
- Innovation Hub Celebrates 300,000th Page Uploaded to Catalog
- One Click or Less: Redesigning the National Archives Museum Website to Better Meet Visitor Needs
- Help Contribute by Scanning U.S. Coast Guard Records from the Vietnam War in the Innovation Hub!
- Moon Collectors, LLC Partnership Agreement for Public Comment
- Why do we engage Citizen Archivists?