War Between the States – U.S. Civil War, 1861-1865.
Ward – the division of a city for election purposes; also the guardian of minor a minor child.
Warranty Deed – Deed in which the seller guarantees a clear title to the buyer.
Will – Document declaring how a person wants his property divided after his death.
Witness – One who is present at a transaction, such as a sale of land or signing of a will, who can testify or affirm that it actually took place.
WPA Historical Records Survey – A program undertaken by the US Government 1935-1936 in which inventories were compiled of historical material.
Search This Site
Did You Know?
In 1850, 1860, 1870, and 1880 the U.S. Census asks if the person had married within the preceding year – that year running from June 1st to May 31st.
Top Posts & Pages
- Medical Terminology
- Glossary of Terms
- Ancestors of Note
- Genealogy Quest - adding ancestors to your family tree
- Medical Terminology beginning with the letter A
- Medical Terminology beginning with the letter D
- War of 1812
- 1873 Yellow Fever Deaths in Memphis, Tennessee
- Spanish American War
- Transported Convicts, 1617 to 1669
- Innovation Hub Celebrates 300,000th Page Uploaded to Catalog
- One Click or Less: Redesigning the National Archives Museum Website to Better Meet Visitor Needs
- Help Contribute by Scanning U.S. Coast Guard Records from the Vietnam War in the Innovation Hub!
- Moon Collectors, LLC Partnership Agreement for Public Comment
- Why do we engage Citizen Archivists?