War Between the States – U.S. Civil War, 1861-1865.
Ward – the division of a city for election purposes; also the guardian of minor a minor child.
Warranty Deed – Deed in which the seller guarantees a clear title to the buyer.
Will – Document declaring how a person wants his property divided after his death.
Witness – One who is present at a transaction, such as a sale of land or signing of a will, who can testify or affirm that it actually took place.
WPA Historical Records Survey – A program undertaken by the US Government 1935-1936 in which inventories were compiled of historical material.
Search This Site
Did You Know?
The 1850 U.S. Census included the names of everyone in the household for the first time.
Top Posts & Pages
- NARA’s Record Group Explorer: A New Path into NARA’s Holdings
- Digitized Records in the National Archives Catalog: How Do They Get There?
- New Search Feature: Optical Character Recognition (OCR)
- Refine Your Search by Record Group or Collection
- John and Charles Gordon, a Father and Son in the 49th U.S. Colored Infantry Regiment