The United States purchased Alaska from Russia on 30 March 1867, but did not join the Union until 7 July 1958, becoming the 49th state. From the purchase in 1867 until 17 May 1884 it was known as the Department of Alaska and from 1884 until 24 August 1912 it was the District of Alaska. On 24 August 1912 it became the Alaska Territory.
Search This Site
Did You Know?
If you don’t find your ancestor in the index, it doesn’t mean your ancestor isn’t in the record.
Top Posts & Pages
- Medical Terminology
- Genealogy Quest - adding ancestors to your family tree
- Glossary of Terms
- Transported Convicts, 1617 to 1669
- Latin Terms
- Medical Terminology beginning with the letter B
- Medical Terminology beginning with the letter A
- New York
- History of Giles County, Virginia
- Medical Terminology beginning with the letter G