The United States purchased Alaska from Russia on 30 March 1867, but did not join the Union until 7 July 1958, becoming the 49th state. From the purchase in 1867 until 17 May 1884 it was known as the Department of Alaska and from 1884 until 24 August 1912 it was the District of Alaska. On 24 August 1912 it became the Alaska Territory.
Search This Site
Did You Know?
In 1790 the population of the United States was 3,929,214.
Top Posts & Pages
- Genealogy Quest - adding ancestors to your family tree
- Genealogical Terminology
- Relationship Terms
- American Epidemics
- Latin Terms
- Detachment of the 2nd North Carolina Mounted Infantry
- Ohio Company Land Grants, Wisemans Bottom, 1793
- Weymouth to New England. 1635
- South Carolina Land Grants, 1674 to 1683
- New Search Feature: Optical Character Recognition (OCR)
- Refine Your Search by Record Group or Collection
- John and Charles Gordon, a Father and Son in the 49th U.S. Colored Infantry Regiment
- Transcriptions Reveal Life in the Trenches
- Asian Pacific American Heritage Month Wikipedia Edit-a-thon on May 8, 2019