The United States purchased Alaska from Russia on 30 March 1867, but did not join the Union until 7 July 1958, becoming the 49th state. From the purchase in 1867 until 17 May 1884 it was known as the Department of Alaska and from 1884 until 24 August 1912 it was the District of Alaska. On 24 August 1912 it became the Alaska Territory.
Search This Site
Did You Know?
The 1880 U.S. Census included the relationship of everyone in the household for the first time.
Top Posts & Pages
- Help Contribute by Scanning U.S. Coast Guard Records from the Vietnam War in the Innovation Hub!
- Moon Collectors, LLC Partnership Agreement for Public Comment
- Why do we engage Citizen Archivists?
- Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) Partnership Agreement Available for Public Comment
- Cultural Institutions Invited to Participate in History Hub