The United States purchased Alaska from Russia on 30 March 1867, but did not join the Union until 7 July 1958, becoming the 49th state. From the purchase in 1867 until 17 May 1884 it was known as the Department of Alaska and from 1884 until 24 August 1912 it was the District of Alaska. On 24 August 1912 it became the Alaska Territory.
Search This Site
Did You Know?
In 1820 the population of the United States was 9,638,453.
Top Posts & Pages
- Why do we engage Citizen Archivists?
- Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) Partnership Agreement Available for Public Comment
- Cultural Institutions Invited to Participate in History Hub
- Join us for an Hispanic Heritage Month Edit-a-thon on October 11, 2017
- How Museums and Institutions Can Use Remembering WWI, featuring the Columbus Museum