The United States purchased Alaska from Russia on 30 March 1867, but did not join the Union until 7 July 1958, becoming the 49th state. From the purchase in 1867 until 17 May 1884 it was known as the Department of Alaska and from 1884 until 24 August 1912 it was the District of Alaska. On 24 August 1912 it became the Alaska Territory.
Search This Site
Did You Know?
Why waste your money looking up your family tree? Just go into politics and your opponents will do it for you.
Top Posts & Pages
- Genealogy Quest - adding ancestors to your family tree
- Medical Terminology
- American Epidemics
- Naturalizations, Denizations, and Oaths of Allegiance
- Glossary of Terms
- Medical Terminology beginning with the letter A
- Weymouth to New England. 1635
- Transported Convicts, 1617 to 1669
- Yorkshire Convicted Papists, 1716 (Birdforth and Allertonshire Wapentakes)
- Dismissed Cadets
- Innovation Hub Celebrates 300,000th Page Uploaded to Catalog
- One Click or Less: Redesigning the National Archives Museum Website to Better Meet Visitor Needs
- Help Contribute by Scanning U.S. Coast Guard Records from the Vietnam War in the Innovation Hub!
- Moon Collectors, LLC Partnership Agreement for Public Comment
- Why do we engage Citizen Archivists?