The United States purchased Alaska from Russia on 30 March 1867, but did not join the Union until 7 July 1958, becoming the 49th state. From the purchase in 1867 until 17 May 1884 it was known as the Department of Alaska and from 1884 until 24 August 1912 it was the District of Alaska. On 24 August 1912 it became the Alaska Territory.
Search This Site
Did You Know?
In 1810 the population of the United States was 7,239,881.
Top Posts & Pages
- American Epidemics
- New York
- Glossary of Terms
- Medical Terminology
- Genealogy Quest - adding ancestors to your family tree
- Naturalizations, Denizations, and Oaths of Allegiance
- US Marshals, Arizona Territory, 1864 - 1912
- English Denization Records, 1560-1563
- Yorkshire Convicted Papists, 1716 (Langbaurgh Wapentake)
- Wedding Wednesday - Colorado's First Same Sex Marriage?