Alabama joined the union as the 22nd state on 14 December 1819. Prior to that time it had been the Alabama Territory (from 15 August 1817) and before that the Mississippi Territory (from 7 April 1798).
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Search This Site
Did you know?
The 1850 U.S. Census included the names of everyone in the household for the first time.U.S. Census Bureau
Today In History
Top Posts & Pages
- Transported Convicts, 1617 to 1669
- Suriname to Jamaica aboard the HMS Hercules, 1675
- Walloons and French to Virginia, 1621
- Immigration, Emigration, and Ship's Passenger Lists
- American Epidemics
- Weymouth to New England. 1635
- Yorkshire Convicted Papists, 1716 (Langbaurgh Wapentake)
- Genealogy Quest - adding ancestors to your family tree
- South Carolina Naturalizations, 1790-1800