Alabama joined the union as the 22nd state on 14 December 1819. Prior to that time it had been the Alabama Territory (from 15 August 1817) and before that the Mississippi Territory (from 7 April 1798).
Search This Site
Did You Know?
The 1850 U.S. Census included the names of everyone in the household for the first time.
Top Posts & Pages
- Glossary of Terms
- Medical Terminology
- Medical Terminology beginning with the letter S
- Genealogy Quest - adding ancestors to your family tree
- Medical Terminology beginning with the letter C
- New York
- Latin Terms
- American Epidemics
- Yorkshire Convicted Papists, 1716 (Langbaurgh Wapentake)
- Transported Convicts, 1617 to 1669
- Tag it! Introducing the National Archives Facebook Chatbot
- An Animated Celebration of NASA’s 60th Anniversary
- Innovation Hub Celebrates 300,000th Page Uploaded to Catalog
- One Click or Less: Redesigning the National Archives Museum Website to Better Meet Visitor Needs
- Help Contribute by Scanning U.S. Coast Guard Records from the Vietnam War in the Innovation Hub!