Territory – Area of land owned by the united States, not a state, but having its own legislature.
Testamentary – Pertaining to a will.
Testate – A person who dies leaving a valid will.
Testator – A person who makes a valid will before his death.
Tithable – Taxable; a person who owes tax to a specified jurisdiction.
Tithe – Formerly, money due as a tax for support of the clergy or church.
Tory – Loyalist; one who supported the British side in the American Revolution.
Township – A division of U.S. public land that contained 36 sections, or 36 square miles. Also a subdivision of the county in many states of the U.S.
Tradition – The handing down of statements, beliefs, legends, customs, genealogies, etc. from generation to generation, especially by word of mouth.
Transcribe – To make a copy in writing.
Tutor – (in Louisiana) A guardian of minor children.
Tutrix – Feminine form of Tutor.
Search This Site
Top Posts & Pages
- Glossary of Terms
- South Carolina Land Grants, 1674 to 1683
- Immigration, Emigration, and Ship's Passenger Lists
- Ancestors of Note
- Genealogy Quest - adding ancestors to your family tree
- Notable Ancestors, Surnames beginning with the letter C
- War of 1812
- Relationship Terms
- Land Records
- Transported Convicts, 1617 to 1669
- An error has occurred, which probably means the feed is down. Try again later.