Rector – A clergyman; the ruler or governor of a country.
Relict – Widow; surviving spouse when one has died, husband or wife.
Repository – The place where a source can be found. (i.e.: Library, FHC etc.)
Republic – Government in which supreme authority lies with the people or their elected representatives.
Revolutionary War – U.S. war for independence from Great Britain 1775-1783.
Rod – 5 1/2 yards; 16 1/2 feet; a perch or square perch; a pole.
Rood – 5 1/2 to 8 yards depending upon location; 1/4 of an acre.
Giles County Menu
Search This Site
Did You Know?
Census takers weren’t always very good at following the directions given.
- NARA’s Record Group Explorer: A New Path into NARA’s Holdings
- Digitized Records in the National Archives Catalog: How Do They Get There?
- New Search Feature: Optical Character Recognition (OCR)
- Refine Your Search by Record Group or Collection
- John and Charles Gordon, a Father and Son in the 49th U.S. Colored Infantry Regiment