Passenger List – A ships list of passengers.
Patent – Grant of land from a government to an individual.
Paternal – Related through one’s father; on one’s father’s side of the family.
Patriot – One who loves his country and supports its interests.
Pedigree – Ancestry; bloodline; Family tree; lineage.
Pedigree Chart – A chart which includes the direct ancestors (parents, grand-parents, etc.) of an individual. Does not include brothers, sisters, aunts, uncles or other relatives.
Pension – Money paid regularly to an individual, especially by a government as reward for military service during wartime or upon retirement from government service.
Pensioner – One who receives a pension.
Perch – 5 1/2 yards; a pole; a rod.
Pole – 5 1/2 yards; a perch; a rod.
Poll – Head or taxable person; list or record of persons, especially for taxing or voting.
Post – Latin prefix meaning after, as in post-war economy.
Posterity – Descendants; those who come after.
Post nominal – initials after name indicating rank, honors, or academic achievement.
Power of Attorney – When a person is unable to act for himself, he appoints another to act in his behalf.
Pre – Latin prefix meaning before, as in pre-war military build-up.
Pre-emption Rights – Right given by the federal government to citizens to buy a quarter section of land or less.
Prenuptial Agreement – Legal document (usually involving property) made by a couple before marriage.
Primogeniture – The right of the eldest child (usually the son) to inherit the entire estate of the parents.
Probate – Legal process having to do with wills and the administration of estates.
Progenitor – A direct ancestor.
Progeny – Descendants of a common ancestor; issue.
Proved Will – A will established as genuine by probate court.
Provost – A person appointed to superintend, or preside over something.
Proximo – In the following month, in the month after the present one.
Public Domain – Land owned by the government; creative works whose copyright has expired.
Search This Site
Did You Know?
John Westly Ingalls, aged 71, was listed as a prostitute in the 1940 U.S. Census. Luckily for him he was also listed as having another source of income.
Top Posts & Pages
- Medical Terminology
- Glossary of Terms
- Ancestors of Note
- Genealogy Quest - adding ancestors to your family tree
- Medical Terminology beginning with the letter A
- Medical Terminology beginning with the letter D
- War of 1812
- 1873 Yellow Fever Deaths in Memphis, Tennessee
- Spanish American War
- Transported Convicts, 1617 to 1669
- Innovation Hub Celebrates 300,000th Page Uploaded to Catalog
- One Click or Less: Redesigning the National Archives Museum Website to Better Meet Visitor Needs
- Help Contribute by Scanning U.S. Coast Guard Records from the Vietnam War in the Innovation Hub!
- Moon Collectors, LLC Partnership Agreement for Public Comment
- Why do we engage Citizen Archivists?