Octaroon – A person with seven caucasian and one negro great grandparents; 1/8 black.
Orphan – Person (usually a child) with one or both parents dead.
Orphan’s Court – Orphans being recognized as wards of the states provisions were made for them in special courts.
Search This Site
Did You Know?
If you don’t find your ancestor in the index, it doesn’t mean your ancestor isn’t in the record.
Top Posts & Pages
- Medical Terminology
- Relationship Terms
- American Epidemics
- Georgia Land Lottery, 1832
- US Marshals, Arizona Territory, 1864 - 1912
- South Carolina Land Grants, 1674 to 1683
- Genealogy Quest - adding ancestors to your family tree
- Medical Terminology beginning with the letter C
- Medical Terminology beginning with the letter B
- Medical Terminology beginning with the letter A
- Refine Your Search by Record Group or Collection
- John and Charles Gordon, a Father and Son in the 49th U.S. Colored Infantry Regiment
- Transcriptions Reveal Life in the Trenches
- Asian Pacific American Heritage Month Wikipedia Edit-a-thon on May 8, 2019
- Become a Wiki Scholar! Work with records from the National Archives to expand coverage of women’s suffrage in the United States in Wikipedia