Octaroon – A person with seven caucasian and one negro great grandparents; 1/8 black.
Orphan – Person (usually a child) with one or both parents dead.
Orphan’s Court – Orphans being recognized as wards of the states provisions were made for them in special courts.
Giles County Menu
Search This Site
Did You Know?
If you don’t find your ancestor in the index, it doesn’t mean your ancestor isn’t in the record.
- NARA’s Record Group Explorer: A New Path into NARA’s Holdings
- Digitized Records in the National Archives Catalog: How Do They Get There?
- New Search Feature: Optical Character Recognition (OCR)
- Refine Your Search by Record Group or Collection
- John and Charles Gordon, a Father and Son in the 49th U.S. Colored Infantry Regiment