Octaroon – A person with seven caucasian and one negro great grandparents; 1/8 black.
Orphan – Person (usually a child) with one or both parents dead.
Orphan’s Court – Orphans being recognized as wards of the states provisions were made for them in special courts.
Search This Site
Did You Know?
In 1880 the population of the United States was 50,155,783.
Top Posts & Pages
- One Click or Less: Redesigning the National Archives Museum Website to Better Meet Visitor Needs
- Help Contribute by Scanning U.S. Coast Guard Records from the Vietnam War in the Innovation Hub!
- Moon Collectors, LLC Partnership Agreement for Public Comment
- Why do we engage Citizen Archivists?
- Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) Partnership Agreement Available for Public Comment