Octaroon – A person with seven caucasian and one negro great grandparents; 1/8 black.
Orphan – Person (usually a child) with one or both parents dead.
Orphan’s Court – Orphans being recognized as wards of the states provisions were made for them in special courts.
Search This Site
Did You Know?
In 1870 the population of the United States was 38,558,371.
Top Posts & Pages
- Join us for an Hispanic Heritage Month Edit-a-thon on October 11, 2017
- How Museums and Institutions Can Use Remembering WWI, featuring the Columbus Museum
- Tips for Social Media Success
- How to participate in the US National Archives’ Remembering WWI: A Guide for Local Institutions
- Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) Partnership Agreement for Public Comment