LDS – Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormons).
Late – Recently deceased; now deceased.
Lease – An agreement which creates a landlord-tenant situation.
Legacy – Property or money left to someone in a will.
Legatee – A person who inherits money or property through a will.
Legislature – Lawmaking branch of state or national government; elected group of lawmakers.
Lien – A claim against property as security for payment of a debt.
Lineage – Ancestry; direct descent from a specific ancestor.
Lineal – Consisting of or being in as direct line of ancestry or descendants; descended in a direct line.
Link – Length: 1/100th of a surveying chain; 7.92 inches.
Lis Pendens – Pending court action; usually applies to land title claims.
Lodge – A chapter or meeting hall of a fraternal organization.
Loyalist – Tory, an American colonist who supported the British side during the American Revolution.
Search This Site
Did You Know?
Between 1615 and 1776, English courts sent almost 55,000 convicts to the American colonies.
Top Posts & Pages
- New Search Feature: Optical Character Recognition (OCR)
- Refine Your Search by Record Group or Collection
- John and Charles Gordon, a Father and Son in the 49th U.S. Colored Infantry Regiment
- Transcriptions Reveal Life in the Trenches
- Asian Pacific American Heritage Month Wikipedia Edit-a-thon on May 8, 2019