LDS – Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormons).
Late – Recently deceased; now deceased.
Lease – An agreement which creates a landlord-tenant situation.
Legacy – Property or money left to someone in a will.
Legatee – A person who inherits money or property through a will.
Legislature – Lawmaking branch of state or national government; elected group of lawmakers.
Lien – A claim against property as security for payment of a debt.
Lineage – Ancestry; direct descent from a specific ancestor.
Lineal – Consisting of or being in as direct line of ancestry or descendants; descended in a direct line.
Link – Length: 1/100th of a surveying chain; 7.92 inches.
Lis Pendens – Pending court action; usually applies to land title claims.
Lodge – A chapter or meeting hall of a fraternal organization.
Loyalist – Tory, an American colonist who supported the British side during the American Revolution.
Search This Site
Did You Know?
In 1790 the population of the United States was 3,929,214.
Top Posts & Pages
- Join us for an Hispanic Heritage Month Edit-a-thon on October 11, 2017
- How Museums and Institutions Can Use Remembering WWI, featuring the Columbus Museum
- Tips for Social Media Success
- How to participate in the US National Archives’ Remembering WWI: A Guide for Local Institutions
- Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) Partnership Agreement for Public Comment