LDS – Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormons).
Late – Recently deceased; now deceased.
Lease – An agreement which creates a landlord-tenant situation.
Legacy – Property or money left to someone in a will.
Legatee – A person who inherits money or property through a will.
Legislature – Lawmaking branch of state or national government; elected group of lawmakers.
Lien – A claim against property as security for payment of a debt.
Lineage – Ancestry; direct descent from a specific ancestor.
Lineal – Consisting of or being in as direct line of ancestry or descendants; descended in a direct line.
Link – Length: 1/100th of a surveying chain; 7.92 inches.
Lis Pendens – Pending court action; usually applies to land title claims.
Lodge – A chapter or meeting hall of a fraternal organization.
Loyalist – Tory, an American colonist who supported the British side during the American Revolution.
Search This Site
Did You Know?
In 1820 the population of the United States was 9,638,453.
Top Posts & Pages
- NARA’s Record Group Explorer: A New Path into NARA’s Holdings
- Digitized Records in the National Archives Catalog: How Do They Get There?
- New Search Feature: Optical Character Recognition (OCR)
- Refine Your Search by Record Group or Collection
- John and Charles Gordon, a Father and Son in the 49th U.S. Colored Infantry Regiment