LDS – Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormons).
Late – Recently deceased; now deceased.
Lease – An agreement which creates a landlord-tenant situation.
Legacy – Property or money left to someone in a will.
Legatee – A person who inherits money or property through a will.
Legislature – Lawmaking branch of state or national government; elected group of lawmakers.
Lien – A claim against property as security for payment of a debt.
Lineage – Ancestry; direct descent from a specific ancestor.
Lineal – Consisting of or being in as direct line of ancestry or descendants; descended in a direct line.
Link – Length: 1/100th of a surveying chain; 7.92 inches.
Lis Pendens – Pending court action; usually applies to land title claims.
Lodge – A chapter or meeting hall of a fraternal organization.
Loyalist – Tory, an American colonist who supported the British side during the American Revolution.
Search This Site
Did You Know?
If you don’t find your ancestor in the index, it doesn’t mean your ancestor isn’t in the record.
Top Posts & Pages
- Why do we engage Citizen Archivists?
- Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) Partnership Agreement Available for Public Comment
- Cultural Institutions Invited to Participate in History Hub
- Join us for an Hispanic Heritage Month Edit-a-thon on October 11, 2017
- How Museums and Institutions Can Use Remembering WWI, featuring the Columbus Museum