Illegitimate – Born to a mother who was not married (the law generally recognises the children of a married woman to be those of her husband).
Immigrant – One moving (permanently) into a country from another.
Indenture – Today it means a contract in 2 or more copies. Originally made in 2 parts by cutting or tearing a single sheet across the middle in a jagged line so the two parts may later be matched.
Indentured Servant – A person bound into service of another person for a specified number of years, often in return for transportation to America; a redemptioner.
Infant – (in law) A person not of full age; a minor.
Instant – Of or pertaining to the current month. (Abbreviated inst.)
Intentions – Public notification of an upcoming marriage, see banns.
International Genealogical Index (IGI) – an database created of names that have been extracted from various original records from all over the world and also entries submitted by LDS church members for temple ordinances. Created and maintained by the LDS FHL.
Intestate – One who dies without a will or dying without a will.
Inventory – An account, catalog or schedule, made by an executor or administrator of all the goods and chattels and sometimes of the real estate of a deceased person.
Issue – Offspring; children; descendants; progeny.
Search This Site
Did You Know?
In 1840 the population of the United States was 17,069,453.
Top Posts & Pages
- Medical Terminology
- American Epidemics
- Latin Terms
- Moore's Company, Baldwin Infantry, Georgia State Guards
- Transported Convicts, 1617 to 1669
- Yorkshire Convicted Papists, 1716 (Langbaurgh Wapentake)
- Genealogy Quest - adding ancestors to your family tree
- Philippine Insurrection Casualty Report, 2 May 1902
- Detachment of the 2nd North Carolina Mounted Infantry
- Old Queries, Part 5
- Innovation Hub Celebrates 300,000th Page Uploaded to Catalog
- One Click or Less: Redesigning the National Archives Museum Website to Better Meet Visitor Needs
- Help Contribute by Scanning U.S. Coast Guard Records from the Vietnam War in the Innovation Hub!
- Moon Collectors, LLC Partnership Agreement for Public Comment
- Why do we engage Citizen Archivists?