Half Brother/Half Sister – Child by another marriage of one’s mother or father; the relationship of two people who have only one parent in common.
Headright – System of land allocation in colonial Virginia.
Heirs – Those entitled by law or by the terms of a will to inherit property from another.
Holographic Will – One written entirely in the testator’s own handwriting.
Homestead Act – Law passed by Congress in 1862 allowing a head of a family to obtain title to 160 acres of public land after clearing and improving it for 5 years.
Huguenot – A French Protestant in the 16th and 17th centuries. One of the reformed or calvinistic communion who were driven by the thousands into exile in England, Holland, Germany and America.
Search This Site
Did You Know?
Between 1615 and 1776, English courts sent almost 55,000 convicts to the American colonies.
Top Posts & Pages
- Cultural Institutions Invited to Participate in History Hub
- Join us for an Hispanic Heritage Month Edit-a-thon on October 11, 2017
- How Museums and Institutions Can Use Remembering WWI, featuring the Columbus Museum
- Tips for Social Media Success
- How to participate in the US National Archives’ Remembering WWI: A Guide for Local Institutions