Half Brother/Half Sister – Child by another marriage of one’s mother or father; the relationship of two people who have only one parent in common.
Headright – System of land allocation in colonial Virginia.
Heirs – Those entitled by law or by the terms of a will to inherit property from another.
Holographic Will – One written entirely in the testator’s own handwriting.
Homestead Act – Law passed by Congress in 1862 allowing a head of a family to obtain title to 160 acres of public land after clearing and improving it for 5 years.
Huguenot – A French Protestant in the 16th and 17th centuries. One of the reformed or calvinistic communion who were driven by the thousands into exile in England, Holland, Germany and America.
Search This Site
Did You Know?
The 1850 U.S. Census included the names of everyone in the household for the first time.
Top Posts & Pages
- New Search Feature: Optical Character Recognition (OCR)
- Refine Your Search by Record Group or Collection
- John and Charles Gordon, a Father and Son in the 49th U.S. Colored Infantry Regiment
- Transcriptions Reveal Life in the Trenches
- Asian Pacific American Heritage Month Wikipedia Edit-a-thon on May 8, 2019