Half Brother/Half Sister – Child by another marriage of one’s mother or father; the relationship of two people who have only one parent in common.
Headright – System of land allocation in colonial Virginia.
Heirs – Those entitled by law or by the terms of a will to inherit property from another.
Holographic Will – One written entirely in the testator’s own handwriting.
Homestead Act – Law passed by Congress in 1862 allowing a head of a family to obtain title to 160 acres of public land after clearing and improving it for 5 years.
Huguenot – A French Protestant in the 16th and 17th centuries. One of the reformed or calvinistic communion who were driven by the thousands into exile in England, Holland, Germany and America.
Search This Site
Did You Know?
In 1850 the population of the United States was 23,191,876.
Top Posts & Pages
- Genealogy Quest - adding ancestors to your family tree
- Medical Terminology
- Glossary of Terms
- American Epidemics
- Georgia Land Lottery, 1832
- Father Schmidt Master of Crime
- Transported Convicts, 1617 to 1669
- Yorkshire Convicted Papists, 1716 (Langbaurgh Wapentake)
- Immigration, Emigration, and Ship's Passenger Lists