Half Brother/Half Sister – Child by another marriage of one’s mother or father; the relationship of two people who have only one parent in common.
Headright – System of land allocation in colonial Virginia.
Heirs – Those entitled by law or by the terms of a will to inherit property from another.
Holographic Will – One written entirely in the testator’s own handwriting.
Homestead Act – Law passed by Congress in 1862 allowing a head of a family to obtain title to 160 acres of public land after clearing and improving it for 5 years.
Huguenot – A French Protestant in the 16th and 17th centuries. One of the reformed or calvinistic communion who were driven by the thousands into exile in England, Holland, Germany and America.
Search This Site
Did You Know?
In 1820 the population of the United States was 9,638,453.
Top Posts & Pages
- Help Contribute by Scanning U.S. Coast Guard Records from the Vietnam War in the Innovation Hub!
- Moon Collectors, LLC Partnership Agreement for Public Comment
- Why do we engage Citizen Archivists?
- Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) Partnership Agreement Available for Public Comment
- Cultural Institutions Invited to Participate in History Hub