Gazetteer – A geographical dictionary; a book giving names and descriptions of places usually in alphabetical order.
Gedcom – An acronym for “GEnealogical Data COMmunication”. A standard format created by the LDS Church that allows genealogical software programs to transfer data.
Genealogy – Study of family history and descent.
Gentleman – A man well born.
Given Name – Name given to a person at birth or baptism, one’s first and middle names (in societies where the surname is inherited).
Glebe – Land belonging to a parish church.
Grantee – One who buys property or receives a grant.
Grantor – One who sells property or makes a grant.
Great-Aunt – Sister of one’s grandparent (also grand-aunt).
Great-Uncle – Brother of one’s grandparent (also grand-uncle).
Guardian – Person appointed to care for and manage property of a minor orphan or an adult incompetent of managing his own affairs.
Search This Site
Top Posts & Pages
- Glossary of Terms
- South Carolina Land Grants, 1674 to 1683
- Immigration, Emigration, and Ship's Passenger Lists
- Ancestors of Note
- Genealogy Quest - adding ancestors to your family tree
- Notable Ancestors, Surnames beginning with the letter C
- War of 1812
- Relationship Terms
- Land Records
- Transported Convicts, 1617 to 1669
- An error has occurred, which probably means the feed is down. Try again later.