Cascading Pedigree Chart – A series of pedigree charts that span multiple generations for an individual and then for each person in the last generation of the first chart.
Census – Official enumeration, listing or counting of citizens.
Certified Copy – A copy made and attested to by officers having charge of the original and authorized to give copies.
Chain – 100 links; 66 feet
Chattel – Any property other than freehold land, including tangible goods (chattels personal) and leasehold interested (chattels real).
Christen – To receive or initiate into the christian church by baptism; to name at baptism; to give a name to.
Christian Name – Name given at christening or baptism; given name; forename
Circa – About or approximately; usually referring to a date.
Citation – Page or section reference of a source.
Civil War – War between the States; war between North and South, 1861-1865.
Codicil – An addition explaining, modifying or revoking a will or part of one.
Collateral Ancestor – Descended from the same ancestral stock but not in the direct line.
Common Ancestor – Ancestor shared by any two or more people.
Confederate – (adj.) Pertaining to the Confederacy
Confederacy – Collectively the Confederate States of America; the southern american states which seceded from the United States in 1860-1861.
Consanguinity – Blood relationship.
Consort – A husband or (more commonly) a wife.
Conveyances – Transfer of property from one owner to another.
Cottar – a small-holder
Cousin – Child of a person’s Aunt or Uncle; person with whom one shares a common ancestor (excluding one’s direct ancestors and siblings); formerly used as a loose term for any close friend or relative. N.B. in many Native American societies the usage differs.
Cousin German – First cousin.
Search This Site
Did You Know?
Census takers weren’t always very good at following the directions given.
Top Posts & Pages
- Medical Terminology
- American Epidemics
- Latin Terms
- Moore's Company, Baldwin Infantry, Georgia State Guards
- Transported Convicts, 1617 to 1669
- Yorkshire Convicted Papists, 1716 (Langbaurgh Wapentake)
- Genealogy Quest - adding ancestors to your family tree
- Philippine Insurrection Casualty Report, 2 May 1902
- Detachment of the 2nd North Carolina Mounted Infantry
- Old Queries, Part 5
- Innovation Hub Celebrates 300,000th Page Uploaded to Catalog
- One Click or Less: Redesigning the National Archives Museum Website to Better Meet Visitor Needs
- Help Contribute by Scanning U.S. Coast Guard Records from the Vietnam War in the Innovation Hub!
- Moon Collectors, LLC Partnership Agreement for Public Comment
- Why do we engage Citizen Archivists?