Banns – Public announcement of intended marriage, usually read in church on three successive Sundays
Barton – Farmyard; farm not let with rest of manor.
Base born – born out of wedlock or of low parentage.
Beneficiary – One who receives benefit of trust or property.
Bequeath – To give personal property to a person in a will. Noun: bequest.
Biblography – List of sources.
Birth Certificate – Documentation about one’s birth.
Bond – A binding agreement to perform certain actions or duties or requiring payment of a specified amount of money as a penalty; at different times required of estate administrators or executors, grooms (for marriage), certain elected officials (such as constables).
Bondsman – Person acting as surety for a bond (often, but by no means ordinarily, a relative)
Bordar – a small-holder, usually on the outskirts of a village
Bounty Land – Land promised as reward or inducement for enlisting in military service.
Bounty Land Warrant – A right to obtain bounty land, specific number of acres of an allocated public land.
Buried, partly – indicates the heart is buried in one place and the body in another, usually by directions of a will
Search This Site
Top Posts & Pages
- Glossary of Terms
- South Carolina Land Grants, 1674 to 1683
- Immigration, Emigration, and Ship's Passenger Lists
- Ancestors of Note
- Genealogy Quest - adding ancestors to your family tree
- Notable Ancestors, Surnames beginning with the letter C
- War of 1812
- Relationship Terms
- Land Records
- Transported Convicts, 1617 to 1669
- An error has occurred, which probably means the feed is down. Try again later.