Abstract – Summary of important points of a given text, especially deeds and wills.
Accordant (with) – Agreeing.
Acre – 43,560 square feet; 4,840 square yards; 160 square rods
Administration (of an estate) – The collection, management and distribution of an estate by proper legal process.
Administrator (of an estate) – Person appointed to manage or divide the estate of a deceased person.
Administratrix – A female administrator.
Ae. – (latin) Aged; Aet, “aetatis suae”: at the age of.
Affidavit – A written statement confirmed by oath, for use as evidence in court.
Ahnentafel – A table of one’s ancestors, from the German Ahnen (ancestor) and Tafel (table or list).
Ahnentafel Numbers – Numbering system used to identify each individual in a family tree. The numbers follow the format that an individual’s father is twice that individual’s number, and that an individual’s mother is twice that individual’s number plus one. Used in pedigree charts.
Alien – (1) To transfer property; as in a deed the seller “does grant, bargain, sell, alien, enfeoff, release, and confirm unto [the buyer]” certain property. (2) a foreigner.
ALARS – American Library Association Records Standards
American Revolution – U.S. war for independence from Great Britain 1775-1783.
Ancestor – A person from whom you are descended; a forefather.
Ancestor Chart – Report or chart that shows a person and all of their ancestors in a graphical format. As opposed to the Ahnentafel which is more of a narrative report.
Ancestral File – A database of names in linked genealogies on CD-ROM. Contains names and addresses of people that have submitted information. Maintained by the LDS FHL.
Ancestry – The lineage of all the ancestors of a person, from parents backward on time.
Ante – Latin prefix meaning before, such as in ante-bellum South; The South before the war.
Apprentice – One who is bound by indentures or by legal agreement or by any means to serve another person for a certain time, with a view of learning an art or trade.
Appurtenance – That which belongs to something else such as a building, orchard, right of way, etc.
Archive – Collection of public or corporate records; place where such records are kept.
Ascendants – lineal ancestors.
ASCII – American Standard Code for Information Interchange – type of file on a computer that is usually readable/writable by most word processors.
Attest – To affirm; to certify by signature or oath.
Search This Site
Did You Know?
Census takers weren’t always very good at following the directions given.
Top Posts & Pages
- Medical Terminology
- American Epidemics
- Latin Terms
- Moore's Company, Baldwin Infantry, Georgia State Guards
- Transported Convicts, 1617 to 1669
- Yorkshire Convicted Papists, 1716 (Langbaurgh Wapentake)
- Genealogy Quest - adding ancestors to your family tree
- Philippine Insurrection Casualty Report, 2 May 1902
- Detachment of the 2nd North Carolina Mounted Infantry
- Old Queries, Part 5
- Innovation Hub Celebrates 300,000th Page Uploaded to Catalog
- One Click or Less: Redesigning the National Archives Museum Website to Better Meet Visitor Needs
- Help Contribute by Scanning U.S. Coast Guard Records from the Vietnam War in the Innovation Hub!
- Moon Collectors, LLC Partnership Agreement for Public Comment
- Why do we engage Citizen Archivists?