vel (vel…vel) – or (either….or)
vespere – in the evening
vetus, veteris – old
victricus – stepfather
viduus/vidua – widower/widow
videlicet (viz.) – namely
vir – man, male
virgo – virgin, female, girl
virtuosus/a/um – honorable
vita – life
vita cessit – he/she departed from life, died
vulgo – commonly, generally
Search This Site
Did You Know?
The 1840 U.S. Census asked for the names and ages of Revolutionary War or Military pensioners – this included veterans and widows.
Top Posts & Pages
- One Click or Less: Redesigning the National Archives Museum Website to Better Meet Visitor Needs
- Help Contribute by Scanning U.S. Coast Guard Records from the Vietnam War in the Innovation Hub!
- Moon Collectors, LLC Partnership Agreement for Public Comment
- Why do we engage Citizen Archivists?
- Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) Partnership Agreement Available for Public Comment