feme covert – married woman
feme sole – unmarried woman
femina – woman
filia – daughter
filia fratris/sororis – niece, daugher of brother/sister
filius – son
filius fratris/sororis – nephew, son of brother/sister
frater – brother
frater ex materno latere – half-brother common mother
frater ex paterno latere – half-brother common father
frater germanus – twin brother
frater naturalis – brother
fuit – he/she/it was
fuerunt – they were
Search This Site
Did You Know?
If you don’t find your ancestor in the index, it doesn’t mean your ancestor isn’t in the record.
Top Posts & Pages
- Medical Terminology
- Ancestors of Note
- Glossary of Terms
- Genealogy Quest - adding ancestors to your family tree
- American Epidemics
- Ship Defence, London to Boston 1635
- Immigration, Emigration, and Ship's Passenger Lists
- Transported Convicts, 1617 to 1669
- Medical Terminology beginning with the letter A
- Relationship Terms
- Innovation Hub Celebrates 300,000th Page Uploaded to Catalog
- One Click or Less: Redesigning the National Archives Museum Website to Better Meet Visitor Needs
- Help Contribute by Scanning U.S. Coast Guard Records from the Vietnam War in the Innovation Hub!
- Moon Collectors, LLC Partnership Agreement for Public Comment
- Why do we engage Citizen Archivists?