caelebs – single, unmarried (man)
capellanus – chaplain
cognati – maternal relations
cognomen – surname
commater – godmother
comparere – to appear
comparuit pro me – he/she appeared before me
compater – godfather
conceptus/a/um – conceived
concepta est – she was pregnant
coniunx (coniux) – husband or wife
coniuges (pl.) – married couple
consanguinitas – blood relationship (if too close, an impediment to marriage)
consobrinus/a – cousin on the mother’s side
contrahere – to contract, to draw together
matrimonium contraxerunt – they contracted marriage
coparcener – co-heir
copulatio – marriage
copulatus/a – married man/woman
copulatus/a est – he/she was married
coram – in the presence of
corpus – body
cum – with
Search This Site
Did You Know?
John Westly Ingalls, aged 71, was listed as a prostitute in the 1940 U.S. Census. Luckily for him he was also listed as having another source of income.
Top Posts & Pages
- Innovation Hub Celebrates 300,000th Page Uploaded to Catalog
- One Click or Less: Redesigning the National Archives Museum Website to Better Meet Visitor Needs
- Help Contribute by Scanning U.S. Coast Guard Records from the Vietnam War in the Innovation Hub!
- Moon Collectors, LLC Partnership Agreement for Public Comment
- Why do we engage Citizen Archivists?