Variola – Smallpox.
Venesection – Bleeding.
Viper’s dance – St. Vitus’ Dance.
Virus – An ultramicroscopic, metabolically inert infectious agent that replicates only within the cells of living hosts, mainly bacteria, plants, and animals. In the early 1800s virus meant poison, venom, or contagion.
Search This Site
Did You Know?
In 1850, 1860, 1870, and 1880 the U.S. Census asks if the person had married within the preceding year – that year running from June 1st to May 31st.
Top Posts & Pages
- Innovation Hub Celebrates 300,000th Page Uploaded to Catalog
- One Click or Less: Redesigning the National Archives Museum Website to Better Meet Visitor Needs
- Help Contribute by Scanning U.S. Coast Guard Records from the Vietnam War in the Innovation Hub!
- Moon Collectors, LLC Partnership Agreement for Public Comment
- Why do we engage Citizen Archivists?