Jail fever – see typhus.
Jaundice – Yellow discoloration of the skin, whites of the eyes, and mucous membranes, due to an increase of bile pigments in the blood – often symptomatic of certain diseases, such as hepatitis, obstruction of the bile duct, or cancer of the liver; Condition caused by blockage of intestines (common in newborn babies) Synonym: icterus.
Search This Site
Did You Know?
In 1810 the population of the United States was 7,239,881.
Top Posts & Pages
- Immigration, Emigration, and Ship's Passenger Lists
- Glossary of Terms
- Georgia Land Lottery, 1832
- Genealogy Quest - adding ancestors to your family tree
- Ship Defence, London to Boston 1635
- Georgia State Asylum, 1850
- American Epidemics
- Weymouth to New England. 1635
- Yorkshire Convicted Papists, 1716 (Birdforth and Allertonshire Wapentakes)