Jail fever – see typhus.
Jaundice – Yellow discoloration of the skin, whites of the eyes, and mucous membranes, due to an increase of bile pigments in the blood – often symptomatic of certain diseases, such as hepatitis, obstruction of the bile duct, or cancer of the liver; Condition caused by blockage of intestines (common in newborn babies) Synonym: icterus.
Search This Site
Did You Know?
In 1820 the population of the United States was 9,638,453.
Top Posts & Pages
- Refine Your Search by Record Group or Collection
- John and Charles Gordon, a Father and Son in the 49th U.S. Colored Infantry Regiment
- Transcriptions Reveal Life in the Trenches
- Asian Pacific American Heritage Month Wikipedia Edit-a-thon on May 8, 2019
- Become a Wiki Scholar! Work with records from the National Archives to expand coverage of women’s suffrage in the United States in Wikipedia