<b>Heart sickness</b> – Condition caused by loss of salt from body.
<b>Heat stroke</b> – Body temperature elevates because of surrounding environment temperature and body does not perspire to reduce temperature. Coma and death result if not reversed.
<b>Hectical complaint</b> – A daily recurring fever with profound sweating, chills, and flushed Hectic Fever appearance, often associated with pulmonary tuberculosis or septic poisoning.
<b>Hematemesis</b> – Vomiting blood.
<b>Hematuria</b> – Bloody urine.
<b>Hemiplegy</b> – Paralysis of one side of body.
<b>Hip gout</b> – Osteomylitis.
<b>Hives</b> – A skin eruption of weals (smooth, slightly elevated areas on the skin) which is redder or paler than the surrounding skin. Often attended by severe itching, it usually changes its size or shape or disappears within a few hours. It is the dermal evidence of allergy. See the discussion under croup; also called cynanche trachealis. In the mid-nineteenth century, hives was a commonly given cause of death of children three years and under. Because true hives does not kill, croup was probably the actual cause of death in those children.
<b>Horrors</b> – Delirium tremens.
<b>Hospital Fever</b> – see typhus.
<b>Hydrocephalus</b> – Enlarged head, water on the brain; dropsy of the brain. see dropsy.
<b>Hydropericardium</b> – Heart dropsy.
<b>Hydrophobia</b> – Rabies; fear of water.
<b>Hydrothroax</b> – Dropsy in the chest. see dropsy.
<b>Hypertrophic</b> – Enlargement of organ, like the heart.
<b>Hypertropy of heart</b> – Enlarged heart.
<b>Hysteria</b> – Wild uncontrollable emotion, excitement, functional dusturbance of the nervous system.
Search This Site
Did You Know?
Why waste your money looking up your family tree? Just go into politics and your opponents will do it for you.
Top Posts & Pages
- Medical Terminology
- American Epidemics
- Georgia Land Lottery, 1832
- New York
- Transported Convicts, 1617 to 1669
- Miscellaneous Georgia Marriages (A-M)
- Genealogy Quest - adding ancestors to your family tree
- Medical Terminology beginning with the letter C
- 1878 Yellow Fever Deaths in Holly Springs, Mississippi
- Tag it! Introducing the National Archives Facebook Chatbot
- An Animated Celebration of NASA’s 60th Anniversary
- Innovation Hub Celebrates 300,000th Page Uploaded to Catalog
- One Click or Less: Redesigning the National Archives Museum Website to Better Meet Visitor Needs
- Help Contribute by Scanning U.S. Coast Guard Records from the Vietnam War in the Innovation Hub!