<b>Gangrene</b> – Death and decay of tissue in a part of the body, usually a limb, due to injury, disease, or failure of blood supply. Synonym: mortification.
<b>Gathering</b> – A collection of pus.
<b>Glandular fever</b> – Mononucleosis (mono).
<b>Gleet</b> – see catarrh.
<b>Goitre</b> – Enlarged thyroid gland which affects body’s metabolism.
<b>Gout</b> – Chronic metabolic disorder affecting the joints, associated with hypertension, uric acid in the blood and kidney disease, often associated with a rich and fatty diet (and red wine).
<b>Gravel</b> – A disease characterized by multiple small calculi (stones or concretions of mineral salts) which are formed in the kidneys, passed along the ureters to the bladder, and expelled with the urine. Synonym: kidney stone.
<b>Grave’s disease</b> – Thryotoxicosis.
<b>Great pox</b> – Syphilis.
<b>Green fever/sickness</b> – Anemia.
<b>Grippe/grip</b> – Influenza like symptoms; the flu; influenza.
<b>Grocer’s itch</b> – Skin disease caused by mites in sugar or flour.
Search This Site
Did You Know?
The 1840 U.S. Census asked for the names and ages of Revolutionary War or Military pensioners – this included veterans and widows.
Top Posts & Pages
- Medical Terminology
- American Epidemics
- New York
- Georgia Land Lottery, 1832
- Genealogy Quest - adding ancestors to your family tree
- Notable Ancestors, Surnames beginning with the letter B
- Medical Terminology beginning with the letter C
- Miscellaneous Georgia Marriages (A-M)
- Transported Convicts, 1617 to 1669
- Tag it! Introducing the National Archives Facebook Chatbot
- An Animated Celebration of NASA’s 60th Anniversary
- Innovation Hub Celebrates 300,000th Page Uploaded to Catalog
- One Click or Less: Redesigning the National Archives Museum Website to Better Meet Visitor Needs
- Help Contribute by Scanning U.S. Coast Guard Records from the Vietnam War in the Innovation Hub!