<b>Bad Blood</b> – Syphilis.
<b>Bilious fever</b> – A term loosely applied to certain enteric (intestinal) and malarial fevers; Typhoid, malaria, hepatitis or elevated temperature and bile emesis /fever due to a liver disorder, See typhus.
<b>Biliousness</b> – Jaundice associated with liver disease; A complex of symptoms comprising nausea, abdominal discomfort, headache, and constipation; formerly attributed to excessive secretion of bile from the liver.
<b>Black plague/death</b> – Bubonic plague.
<b>Black fever</b> – Acute infection with high temperature and dark red skin lesions and high mortality rate.
<b>Black pox</b> – Black Small pox.
<b>Black vomit</b> – Vomiting old (black) blood due to ulcers or yellow fever.
<b>Blackwater fever</b> – Dark urine associated with high temperature.
<b>Bladder in throat</b> – Diphtheria.
<b>Blood poisoning</b> – Bacterial infection; septicemia.
<b>Bloody flux</b> – Bloody stools; dysentry.
<b>Bloody sweat</b> – Sweating sickness.
<b>Boil</b> – An abscess of skin or painful, circumscribed inflammation of the skin or a hair follicle, having a dead, pus-forming inner core, usually caused by a staphylococcal infection. Synonym: furuncle.
<b>Bone shave</b> – Sciatica.
<b>Brain fever</b> – see meningitis, typhus.
<b>Breakbone</b> – Dengue fever.
<b>Bright’s disease</b> – Chronic inflammatory disease of kidneys; kiddney disease; glomerulonephritis.
<b>Bronchial asthma</b> – A paroxysmal, often allergic disorder of breathing, characterized by spasm of the bronchial tubes of the lungs, wheezing, and difficulty in breathing air outward, often accompanied by coughing and a feeling of tightness in the chest.
<b>Bronze John</b> – Yellow fever.
<b>Brucellosis</b> – bacterial disease, especially of cattle, causing undulant fever in humans.
<b>Bule</b> – Boil, tumor or swelling.
Search This Site
Did You Know?
In 1870 the population of the United States was 38,558,371.
Top Posts & Pages
- Medical Terminology
- American Epidemics
- Georgia Land Lottery, 1832
- New York
- Transported Convicts, 1617 to 1669
- Miscellaneous Georgia Marriages (A-M)
- Genealogy Quest - adding ancestors to your family tree
- Medical Terminology beginning with the letter C
- Yorkshire Convicted Papists, 1716 (Birdforth and Allertonshire Wapentakes)
- Tag it! Introducing the National Archives Facebook Chatbot
- An Animated Celebration of NASA’s 60th Anniversary
- Innovation Hub Celebrates 300,000th Page Uploaded to Catalog
- One Click or Less: Redesigning the National Archives Museum Website to Better Meet Visitor Needs
- Help Contribute by Scanning U.S. Coast Guard Records from the Vietnam War in the Innovation Hub!