s. – son
SAR – Sons of the American Revolution
Sct – Silicet, a Latin term meaning in particular or namely. Commonly seen in legal documents after the name of the jurisdiction.
SCV – Sons of Confederate Veterans
SDWA – Society of the Descendants of Washington’s Army at Valley Forge
sep. – separated
SEYM – South Eastern Yearly Meeting (Quaker)
SI – sister
s-i-l – sister in law
sis – sister
s/o – son of
SOWD – Special Order War Department (US Civil War)
S. S. – Sharpshooters (US Military regiments).
SS – see Sct above
SSDI – Social Security Death Index (USA)
SUVCW – Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War (USA)
SWA – Seriously Wounded in Action (military)
Search This Site
Did You Know?
Why waste your money looking up your family tree? Just go into politics and your opponents will do it for you.
Top Posts & Pages
- Innovation Hub Celebrates 300,000th Page Uploaded to Catalog
- One Click or Less: Redesigning the National Archives Museum Website to Better Meet Visitor Needs
- Help Contribute by Scanning U.S. Coast Guard Records from the Vietnam War in the Innovation Hub!
- Moon Collectors, LLC Partnership Agreement for Public Comment
- Why do we engage Citizen Archivists?