The United States purchased Alaska from Russia on 30 March 1867, but did not join the Union until 7 July 1958, becoming the 49th state. From the purchase in 1867 until 17 May 1884 it was known as the Department of Alaska and from 1884 until 24 August 1912 it was the District of Alaska. On 24 August 1912 it became the Alaska Territory.
Search This Site
Did You Know?
Between 1615 and 1776, English courts sent almost 55,000 convicts to the American colonies.
Top Posts & Pages
- An Animated Celebration of NASA’s 60th Anniversary
- Innovation Hub Celebrates 300,000th Page Uploaded to Catalog
- One Click or Less: Redesigning the National Archives Museum Website to Better Meet Visitor Needs
- Help Contribute by Scanning U.S. Coast Guard Records from the Vietnam War in the Innovation Hub!
- Moon Collectors, LLC Partnership Agreement for Public Comment