The United States purchased Alaska from Russia on 30 March 1867, but did not join the Union until 7 July 1958, becoming the 49th state. From the purchase in 1867 until 17 May 1884 it was known as the Department of Alaska and from 1884 until 24 August 1912 it was the District of Alaska. On 24 August 1912 it became the Alaska Territory.
Search This Site
Did You Know?
In 1850 the population of the United States was 23,191,876.
Top Posts & Pages
- American Epidemics
- US Army Deaths Reported on 14 November 1918
- Genealogy Quest - adding ancestors to your family tree
- War of 1812
- Relationship Terms
- Glossary of Terms
- US Army Deaths Reported on 5 September 1918
- History of Giles County, Virginia
- Greene County, Georgia, Tax List, 1797
- Immigration, Emigration, and Ship's Passenger Lists