The United States purchased Alaska from Russia on 30 March 1867, but did not join the Union until 7 July 1958, becoming the 49th state. From the purchase in 1867 until 17 May 1884 it was known as the Department of Alaska and from 1884 until 24 August 1912 it was the District of Alaska. On 24 August 1912 it became the Alaska Territory.
Search This Site
Did You Know?
In 1840 the population of the United States was 17,069,453.
Top Posts & Pages
- Medical Terminology
- Glossary of Terms
- Genealogy Quest - adding ancestors to your family tree
- Ancestors of Note
- American Epidemics
- St. Andrews Galley, Rotterdam to Philadelphia, 1737
- Transported Convicts, 1617 to 1669
- 10th Cavalry, San Juan Hill, July 1898
- Yorkshire Convicted Papists, 1716 (Langbaurgh Wapentake)
- Innovation Hub Celebrates 300,000th Page Uploaded to Catalog
- One Click or Less: Redesigning the National Archives Museum Website to Better Meet Visitor Needs
- Help Contribute by Scanning U.S. Coast Guard Records from the Vietnam War in the Innovation Hub!
- Moon Collectors, LLC Partnership Agreement for Public Comment
- Why do we engage Citizen Archivists?