ibid. – ibidem (Latin), in the same place
IIGS – International Internet Genealogical Society
Inf. – Infantry (US military regiments)
inf. – infant
int. – intentions, public notice of an upcoming marriage
IGI – International Genealogical Index, created and maintained by the LDS FHL
inst. – instant (Latin), of the current month
IOF – Independent Order of Foresters
IOGT – Independent Order of Good Templars
IOJD – International Order of Job’s Daughters (freemason)
IOOF – Independent Order of Odd Fellows (fraternal organization)
IOR – Independent Order of Rechabites
IORG – International Order of the Rainbow for Girls (freemasonry)
IORM – Improved Order of Red Men
IOUAM – Improved Order of United American Mechanics
Search This Site
Did You Know?
The 1840 U.S. Census asked for the names and ages of Revolutionary War or Military pensioners – this included veterans and widows.
Top Posts & Pages
- NARA’s Record Group Explorer: A New Path into NARA’s Holdings
- Digitized Records in the National Archives Catalog: How Do They Get There?
- New Search Feature: Optical Character Recognition (OCR)
- Refine Your Search by Record Group or Collection
- John and Charles Gordon, a Father and Son in the 49th U.S. Colored Infantry Regiment