Section – 640 acres; one of the 36 divisions of a township.
Shaker – Member of a religious group formed in 1747 which practiced communal living and celibacy.
Sibling – Person having one or both parents in common with another; a brother or sister.
Sic – Latin meaning thus; copied exactly as the original reads. Often suggests a mistake or surprise in the original.
Social Security Death Index (SSDI) – Index of Social Security Death Benefit records which document how much the government has paid to an individual (spouse, child, etc.) as a result of a relative’s death. An individual may appear in the Social Security Death Benefits Index if he or she died after 1967, had applied for Social Security during their lifetime, and if someone applied for their Social Security death benefits at the time of death. It is not a complete listing of deaths.
Son-in-Law – Husband of one’s daughter.
Soundex – A method of giving names sound codes. This was created in the 1930’s due to the fact that names can be spelled in many different ways. By grouping together surnames that sound alike, individuals can search for ancestors even when the surname had several different spellings.
Source – A book, document, or other record that supplies primary information.
Spinster – Unmarried woman; woman acting in her own right.
Sponsor – A bondsman; surety.
Spouse – Husband or wife.
Statute – Law.
Step-Brother/Step-Sister – Child of one’s step-father or step-mother.
Step-Child – Child of one’s husband or wife from a previous marriage.
Step-Father – Husband of one’s mother by a later marriage.
Step-Mother – Wife of one’s father by a later marriage.
Succession – (1) Legal term in the transfer of property to legal heirs of an intestate estate, (2) probate; process of determining a will’s validity, identifying heirs, etc.
Surname – Last name; family name.
Search This Site
Did You Know?
The 1850 U.S. Census included the names of everyone in the household for the first time.
Top Posts & Pages
- Medical Terminology
- Relationship Terms
- American Epidemics
- Glossary of Terms
- Weymouth to New England. 1635
- Medical Terminology beginning with the letter A
- Medical Terminology beginning with the letter B
- Medical Terminology beginning with the letter C
- Georgia Land Lottery, 1832
- US Marshals, Arizona Territory, 1864 - 1912
- Refine Your Search by Record Group or Collection
- John and Charles Gordon, a Father and Son in the 49th U.S. Colored Infantry Regiment
- Transcriptions Reveal Life in the Trenches
- Asian Pacific American Heritage Month Wikipedia Edit-a-thon on May 8, 2019
- Become a Wiki Scholar! Work with records from the National Archives to expand coverage of women’s suffrage in the United States in Wikipedia