Cascading Pedigree Chart – A series of pedigree charts that span multiple generations for an individual and then for each person in the last generation of the first chart.
Census – Official enumeration, listing or counting of citizens.
Certified Copy – A copy made and attested to by officers having charge of the original and authorized to give copies.
Chain – 100 links; 66 feet
Chattel – Any property other than freehold land, including tangible goods (chattels personal) and leasehold interested (chattels real).
Christen – To receive or initiate into the christian church by baptism; to name at baptism; to give a name to.
Christian Name – Name given at christening or baptism; given name; forename
Circa – About or approximately; usually referring to a date.
Citation – Page or section reference of a source.
Civil War – War between the States; war between North and South, 1861-1865.
Codicil – An addition explaining, modifying or revoking a will or part of one.
Collateral Ancestor – Descended from the same ancestral stock but not in the direct line.
Common Ancestor – Ancestor shared by any two or more people.
Confederate – (adj.) Pertaining to the Confederacy
Confederacy – Collectively the Confederate States of America; the southern american states which seceded from the United States in 1860-1861.
Consanguinity – Blood relationship.
Consort – A husband or (more commonly) a wife.
Conveyances – Transfer of property from one owner to another.
Cottar – a small-holder
Cousin – Child of a person’s Aunt or Uncle; person with whom one shares a common ancestor (excluding one’s direct ancestors and siblings); formerly used as a loose term for any close friend or relative. N.B. in many Native American societies the usage differs.
Cousin German – First cousin.
Search This Site
Did You Know?
Why waste your money looking up your family tree? Just go into politics and your opponents will do it for you.
Top Posts & Pages
- Relationship Terms
- American Epidemics
- Genealogy Quest - adding ancestors to your family tree
- Priest is Cousin of Fake Dentist
- Revolutionary War
- Virginia Land Patents, 1703
- Schmidt Prosecutor Going to Europe to Probe Priest's Sanity
- Hans Schmidt's Sanity Is To Be Left To The Jury
- Schmidt Verdict Yet In Doubt With Jury Deadlocked
- Victim Of Priest Had Cash Enough For Her Burial
- John and Charles Gordon, a Father and Son in the 49th U.S. Colored Infantry Regiment
- Transcriptions Reveal Life in the Trenches
- Asian Pacific American Heritage Month Wikipedia Edit-a-thon on May 8, 2019
- Become a Wiki Scholar! Work with records from the National Archives to expand coverage of women’s suffrage in the United States in Wikipedia
- What’s in a Name?