Jail fever – see typhus.
Jaundice – Yellow discoloration of the skin, whites of the eyes, and mucous membranes, due to an increase of bile pigments in the blood – often symptomatic of certain diseases, such as hepatitis, obstruction of the bile duct, or cancer of the liver; Condition caused by blockage of intestines (common in newborn babies) Synonym: icterus.
Search This Site
Top Posts & Pages
- Relationship Terms
- American Epidemics
- South Carolina Land Grants, 1674 to 1683
- Glossary of Terms
- Genealogical Terminology
- Passes to leave England, 1694
- Immigration, Emigration, and Ship's Passenger Lists
- Genealogy Quest - adding ancestors to your family tree
- Old Time Occupations beginning with the letter C
- Latin Terms beginning with the letter A